|Message sent by|
|Lara Curtayne (Crime Reduction Officer, Community Safety, Bedfordshire Police)|
Bedfordshire Police would like to raise awareness of a spate of burglaries in the north of the county and along the A1 corridor where crime is being committed not only to remove items of value but also car keys in order to steal vehicles.
Whilst investigations are being conducted, we would ask residents to take 5 minutes to review their home security using the assessment form. Your vehicle can also be made less easy to remove by implementing the following measures:
- If you have a garage, clear it out and park the car in it – this will help prevent your car being specifically targeted if it is a desirable make and model. You can reinforce the security of the garage door by fitting a “garage defender” – this prevents the up-and-over door from being raised. Garage windows can be obscured with frosted adhesive vinyl – if a burglar can’t see in, it reduces the temptation to break in.
- If you park on a driveway, consider fitting a fold-down or telescopic post.
- Make sure the area where you park your car is well-lit. If the parking area is on private property, you can use a domestic CCTV system to cover the area.
- If you have a steering wheel lock, then use it. There are many types on the market; the most popular are the “thread through” style and the steering wheel shields. Make sure any product bought has the “Sold Secure” brand of approval.
- Most new cars are fitted with an alarm and immobiliser as standard. However, it is possible to install a higher specification alarm if necessary. Please check the alarm you buy has the “Sold Secure” seal of approval.
- When at home, keep your keys out of the line of vision from doors, letter boxes and windows. Don’t store them in an obvious place, like a drawer in the hallway table or kitchen, or a hook on the back of the door.
If you see a crime being committed or a suspicious person/vehicle, please call 999 immediately and report it, giving as much detail as possible. If you have any information or discover a crime has already been committed, please dial 101.
Please consider joining your local Watch scheme or even setting one up in your area – contact email@example.com for more information.
2484 Lara Curtayne
Crime Reduction Officer – North